If you want to immigrate to Vietnam as a foreign citizen is not complicated, as long as the necessary procedures are completed. Most foreigners decide to come here for temporary stays and later choose to remain here indefinitely.
There are several ways to obtain residency in Vietnam, and they depend on the reason of immigration, first of all. If you want to relocate here and need support, our immigration lawyers in Vietnam are at your disposal with various services.
|Temporary residence permit types||
– temporary permits for employees, investors, family members of Vietnamese residents,
– permanent residence permits
Time needed to obtain the temporary residence permit (approx.)
|Approx. one week|
Temporary residence permit validity
1 to 10 years
|Documents for obtaining temporary residence||
– valid passport,
– proof of local address,
– proof of reason of relocation,
– proof of financial means of self-support
|Mandatory registrations with state authorities (i.e. with the population/municipality register)||
Yes, with local municipality/police station within 24 hours from arrival
|Dependents can join the temporary permit holder||
Yes, they need to apply for family reunion visas
|Temporary or permanent residency for investment purposes||
Yes, several options are available (DT1 – DT4 visas)
|Minimum temporary residence before applying for permanent residence||3 years|
|Documents for obtaining permanent residence||
– application form,
– valid ID and passport,
– valid residence permit,
– clear criminal records,
– proof of being eligible for permanent residece (work contract, marriage license, etc.)
Living in the country for 5 years based on a permanent residence permit
|Citizenship after permanent residence||5 years of permanent residency|
Table of Contents
Types of residence permits in Vietnam
Residence permits can simply be divided into temporary residence cards (TRC) and permanent residence cards, however, if we are to consider the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit, and Residence of Foreigners, these can be categorized by reason of application.
Things are simple when it comes to immigration to Vietnam for permanent residence purposes, as at the respective time, the foreign citizen must have already lived here for a minimum period that enables/him her to obtain the status of a permanent resident.
Temporary residency in Vietnam is available for the following:
- employees of Vietnamese companies (specific requirements must be met in this sense);
- investors (who have several types of visas, if not, the largest number of visas they can apply for);
- foreign relatives of Vietnamese residents (certain conditions must be respected in order to bring family members to Vietnam).
No matter the way you decide on to immigrate to Vietnam and apply for a residence card, you can rely on our local law firm for support.
How to obtain residency in Vietnam for a temporary stay
The temporary residence permit comes with many advantages, however, also with requirements to be met. These are:
- the person must have lived in Vietnam for at least one year;
- the validity period of his/her passport must be at least 13 months.
- It should be noted that when seeking to obtain residency in Vietnam through investment, the permit can have a longer duration of stay, in accordance with the amount of money invested.
Our immigration lawyers in Vietnam can guide you if you want to apply for permanent residence based on investment. We can also help you set up a business in this country. Following that, we can help you apply for citizenship in Vietnam.
If you want to relocate to Vietnam, you can obtain more information about your residency options from our local law firm.
How to apply for a temporary residence permit in Vietnam
The procedure of obtaining residency in Vietnam implies preparing a set of documents, among which the valid passport, the valid visa that has been used to stay in the country until qualifying for the TRC, and the application form with a photograph are required.
Then, depending on the reason of stay, the following documents must also be filed:
- the work permit or work visa exemption for foreign employees and the certificate or registration of the employing company;
- the investment certificate, the license for creation of a liaison or branch office, or the certificate of being a member in the Board of Directors of the company in the case of investors;
- the marriage license, birth certificate, or other documents indicating kinship for family reunification purposes.
When already living in Vietnam and permanent residence is sought, you can rely on our immigration lawyersin Vietnam for assistance in drafting the necessary documents.
Validity of temporary residence permits in Vietnam
One of the interesting facts about residency in Vietnam is that the validity of the permit depends on the symbols of the visas, as it follows:
- DT1 TRCs have a validity of maximum 10 years, which is also one of the lengthiest;
- NG3, LV1, LV2, LS, DT2 and DH TRCs have a validity of maximum 5 years;
- NN1, NN2, DT3, and TT visas have a validity of 3 years;
- LD1, LD2, and PV1 residence cards have a validity of 2 years;
However, it is useful to note that the actual validity of a residence card is 30 days lesser that the date on the documents in order for the holder to have sufficient time to renew it.
Foreign citizens who decide on immigration to Vietnam for permanent residence purposes must live here for at least 3 consecutive years and must be able to financially support themselves. We also invite you to wacth our video below:
Expats living in Vietnam
In 2019, Vietnam was considered the 2nd most appealing expat destination, according to InterNations.org. Moreover:
- the country also ranked 1st in the Working Abroad Index of 2019;
- the same year, there were around 83,500 foreign citizens living in Vietnam;
- most of them resided in large cities, such as Ho Chi Min, Hanoi, and Da Nang;
- living costs in Vietnam range between 700 USD and 1,400 USD per month.
If you want to immigrate and decide to apply for residency in Vietnam, please get in touch with our lawyers for tailored guidance and support in obtaining the desired visa. We can also help you apply for citizenship in Vietnam.