Immigrating to Vietnam as a foreign citizen is not complicated as long as the necessary procedures are completed. Most foreigners decide to come here for temporary stays and later choose to remain here indefinitely. There are several ways to obtain residency in Vietnam, and they depend on the reason of immigration, first of all. If you want to relocate here and take residence in Vietnam, our immigration lawyers are at your disposal with various services.
|Temporary residence permit types||
– temporary permits for employees, investors, family members of Vietnamese residents,
– permanent residence permits
Time needed to obtain the temporary residence permit (approx.)
|Approx. one week|
Temporary residence permit validity
1 to 10 years
|Documents for obtaining temporary residence||
– valid passport,
– proof of local address,
– proof of reason of relocation,
– proof of financial means of self-support
|Mandatory registrations with state authorities (i.e. with the population/municipality register)||
Yes, with local municipality/police station within 24 hours from arrival
|Dependents can join the temporary permit holder||
Yes, they need to apply for family reunion visas
|Temporary or permanent residency for investment purposes||
Yes, several options are available (DT1 – DT4 visas)
|Minimum temporary residence before applying for permanent residence||3 years|
|Documents for obtaining permanent residence||
– application form,
– valid ID and passport,
– valid residence permit,
– clear criminal records,
– proof of being eligible for permanent residece (work contract, marriage license, etc.)
Living in the country for 5 years based on a permanent residence permit
|Citizenship after permanent residence||5 years of permanent residency|
Table of Contents
Types of residence permits in Vietnam
Residence permits in Vietnam can simply be divided into temporary residence cards (TRC) and permanent residence cards, however, if we are to consider the Law on Entry, Exit, Transit, and Residence of Foreigners, these can be categorized by reason of application.
Things are simple when it comes to immigration to Vietnam for permanent residence purposes, as at the respective time, the foreign citizen must have already lived here for a minimum period that enables/him her to obtain the status of a permanent resident.
Temporary residency in Vietnam is available for the following:
- employees of Vietnamese companies (specific requirements must be met in this sense);
- investors (who have several types of visas, if not, the largest number of visas they can apply for);
- foreign relatives of Vietnamese residents (certain conditions must be respected in order to bring family members to Vietnam).
No matter the way you decide on to immigrate to Vietnam and apply for a residence card, you can rely on our local law firm for support. We can help you take residence in Vietnam for you and your family members.
If you run a small business, you can also rely on our Vietnamese accountants. By hiring our experts to monitor the most crucial aspects of managing a small business in accordance with the fiscal laws, you may keep track of your finances without setting up an entire department which can lead to higher management costs.
How to obtain residence permit in Vietnam for a temporary stay
The temporary residence permit comes with many advantages, however, also with requirements to be met. These are:
- The person must have lived in Vietnam for at least one year;
- The validity period of his/her passport must be at least 13 months;
- It should be noted that when seeking to obtain residence permit in Vietnam through investment, the permit can have a longer duration of stay, in accordance with the amount of money invested.
Our immigration lawyers in Vietnam can guide you if you want to apply for a permanent residence permit in Vietnam based on investment. We can also help you set up a business in this country and then obtain residence in Vietnam. Following that, we can help you apply for citizenship in Vietnam.
If you want to relocate to Vietnam, you can obtain more information about your residency options from our local law firm. We also invite you to find out how to move to Vietnam in the infographic below:
How to apply for a temporary residence permit in Vietnam
The procedure of obtaining residence in Vietnam implies preparing a set of documents, among which the valid passport, the valid visa that has been used to stay in the country until qualifying for the TRC, and the application form with a photograph are required.
Then, depending on the reason of stay, the following documents must also be filed:
- the work permit or work visa exemption for foreign employees and the certificate or registration of the employing company;
- the investment certificate, the license for creation of a liaison or branch office, or the certificate of being a member in the Board of Directors of the company in the case of investors;
- the marriage license, birth certificate, or other documents indicating kinship for family reunification purposes.
When already living in this country and a permanent residence permit in Vietnam is sought, you can rely on our immigration lawyers in Vietnam for assistance in drafting the necessary documents.
Validity of temporary residence permits in Vietnam
One of the interesting facts about residence in Vietnam is that the validity of the permit depends on the symbols of the visas, as it follows:
- DT1 TRCs have a validity of maximum 10 years, which is also one of the lengthiest;
- NG3, LV1, LV2, LS, DT2 and DH TRCs have a validity of maximum 5 years;
- NN1, NN2, DT3, and TT visas have a validity of 3 years;
- LD1, LD2, and PV1 residence cards have a validity of 2 years;
However, it is useful to note that the actual validity of a residence card is 30 days lesser that the date on the documents in order for the holder to have sufficient time to renew it.
Foreign citizens who decide on immigration to Vietnam for permanent residence purposes must live here for at least 3 consecutive years and must be able to financially support themselves.
Permanent residence permit in Vietnam
A renewable 10-year Vietnamese permanent residence (PR) card is an option if you are a foreign national interested in residing and working or investing in this country for an extended period of time. Once you obtain the PR status, you can benefit from advantages including not needing a visa to enter or leave Vietnam, renewing your temporary card once, and the ability to invite your relatives to visit or settle there.
There are 4 cases in which foreigners can obtain a permanent residence permit in Vietnam. They include:
- foreigners who have made contributions to the economic growth of Vietnam;
- people who were awarded various titles by the government of Vietnam;
- professionals or scientists interested in residence in Vietnam and moving to this country;
- any foreigner who can be sponsored by his father, spouse, or child who is a permanent resident of Vietnam;
- foreign citizens who have lived in Vietnam temporarily since the year 2000.
If you fit in any of these categories, you can get in touch with our immigration lawyers in Vietnam for support.
Conditions to obtain permanent residence permit in Vietnam
There are various means through which one can become a permanent resident of this country and sponsorship is one of the simplest. If a member of your family who is a Vietnamese citizen or resident sponsors you, it is possible for you to be granted PR status, as well.
Your application for a permanent residence permit in Vietnam will be taken into consideration if you have a legal address and a reliable source of income to support yourself in this country after obtaining residence in Vietnam.
You can either rent or buy a home in Vietnam, or you can live with the family member who has sponsored you for permanent residency there, such as your parents, wife/husband, or children.
Additionally, you must have reliable and lawful work that will allow you to support yourself. Another solution is to demonstrate that the sponsor financially supports you.
Another condition is for you to have temporarily resided in Vietnam for at least 3 years consecutively in addition to meeting the requirements for employment and residency.
If you need assistance in understanding if you meet the requirements to qualify for residency, our Vietnamese immigration lawyer can help.
We are also at your service if you choose to immigrate to Vietnam by other means, such as investment.
Documents for obtaining a permanent residence permit in Vietnam
The paperwork you need to submit alongside your permanent residency application is:
- a clean criminal report issued in your country of citizenship;
- a certified passport copy;
- proof of your employment and place of residence in Vietnam;
- a sponsorship letter from your relatives.
Please mind that depending on the pathway selected for immigration the documents must be filed with different authorities. Those who come here based on employment, business, or other means must file for residency with the Ministry of Public Security, while those who move based on sponsorship can address the Immigration Department directly.
How long does it take to obtain a permanent residence card in Vietnam?
The Immigration Department will examine and verify all the documents filed by applicants within 6 months, and then send them to the Minister of Public Security. The time frame may be extended by up to 3 months if an additional examination is necessary. After receiving approval from the Immigration Department or the Public Security Ministry, the PR card will be issued within 5 days.
The regular Vietnamese permanent residence card must be renewed every 3 years. The 10-year visa is available for those who make a significant contribution to the Vietnamese economy. So, depending on your case, you can rely on us for any of the means you choose to use for immigration to Vietnam.
We also invite you to watch our video below about obtaining residence in Vietnam:
Expats living in Vietnam
Vietnam is one of the countries with the fastest-growing economies in the world, and it is home to 100 million people, including 100,000 expats. Many Vietnamese industries are in critical need of highly skilled foreign personnel and investors to assist lead their small- and medium-sized firms as the nation enters the global arena. Vietnam may potentially rank among the top 20 economies in the world by 2050, according to PwC.
Relocating somewhere new often presents its own set of difficulties, and Vietnam is no different. From securing the greatest employment to making the most of your lifestyle in South-East Asia, Vietnam is one of the best countries to relocate to in this part of the world.
In 2019, Vietnam was considered the 2nd most appealing expat destination, according to InterNations.org. Moreover:
- the country also ranked 1st in the Working Abroad Index of 2019;
- the same year, there were around 83,500 foreign citizens living in Vietnam;
- most of them resided in large cities, such as Ho Chi Min, Hanoi, and Da Nang;
- living costs in Vietnam range between 700 USD and 1,400 USD per month per person.
If you want to immigrate and decide to apply for residency in Vietnam, please get in touch with our lawyers for tailored guidance and support in obtaining the desired visa. We can also help you apply for citizenship in Vietnam.